Moving can be an exciting time, but it can also be an extra source of stress, with some basic planning you can almost eliminate the extra worry of moving out of you r old home and into your new home.
30 Days Before You Move
- Select your moving company. Make sure the company is bonded and insured. Ask friends for recommendations.
- If you’re moving to another state, or a long distance:
- Make hotel reservations.
- Purchase airline tickets.
- Make car rental arrangements.
- Start packing items you don’t use often.
- Notify your post office and fill out the change of address forms.
- Notify your bank, credit card company, insurance company, magazine subscriptions, physician, friends and family members of your address change.
- Notify Uncle Sam by completing Form #8822.
14 Days Before You Move
- Make arrangements with your utility companies to have your service shut off at your old address the day after you move, and started the day before you move in at your new address:
- Local phone company/long distance carrier.
- Heat/gas company.
- Electric company.
- Cable company.
- Trash removal.
7 Days Before You Move
- Finish packing:
- Pack by room, clearly mark boxes and be specific about what’s inside. This makes unpacking much easier.
- Reinforce the bottoms of all boxes with strong packing tape.
- Breakable items should be well-padded and marked “Fragile” on all sides of the box.
The Day Before You Move
- Make a final walk through to be sure nothing gets left behind.
- Have keys for your new home.
- Confirm your move by calling your moving company.
- Do one last clean-up; it’s the most important thing you can do to welcome your new buyers.